Why wait for a photographer and videographer to give you the materials from your own wedding when you have guests and loved ones all around you and both of you are geeks in the best sense of the word? Most couples these days have websites for their weddings. But Alex, who is a developer, and Youmna, who is the famous blogger behind the Marketing in Lebanon blog went an extra mile with www.alexyoumna.com. They gave each of their guests a Mission Sheet instructing them to take photos of eh people on their table, people dancing…all in all 15 photos and hashtag it with #alexyoumna. The result is an awesome array of candid shots starting from the bride’s behind the scenes make-up ritual and even a video of the first dance uploaded during the wedding by one of the guests. That’s a cool idea to take up for your next special event.
INITIALLY PUBLISHED in CLOUD 961 ISSUE 2 – JULY 2013
Social Media and tech gizmos have seeped into every aspect of our lives. In this column Darine curates the curious and funny anecdotes on how these new media have transformed day to day interactions. Share your own stories with her on twitter on @sdarine #SMLaughs or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Designer’s VS Community Manger’s Perspective
I caught this talk over at a client’s. Their designer jumped into our meetings to make a point: the content posted on the social media channels in not “professional” it is just snapped at the venue – let’s convince the boss to hire a photographer and do a photoshoot! To which the community manager said – “No, we are getting a lot of likes on these, plus they’ve been “INSTAed”!”
2. Ask me anything
During my days getting your teacher’s phone number was a great coup, we would cherish it and use it for our special prank calls. But not anymore! This year during the first day of my sister’s school each teacher came into class, introduced herself and then wrote her number on the board with the words: “if you need anything, just whatsapp me!”
3. Skype him from my phone!
My mom has this absolute belief that if my brother called her on skype and skype rang on her mobile phone its an absolute “No-NO” to call him back from the tablet or laptop because the “connection won’t work unless its from the same place”.
7:30 PM | Registration
Early registration secures spots for special sponsor goodies and Geekfest branded swag. Come early before the good stuff runs out
8:00 PM | Let’s Talk the Talk
- Maya Metni | Le Geek, C’est Chic! How to dress like a Geek? A practical guide | Maya is a visual communication consultant. She gathers her musings & inspirations in her blog www.mayametni.com & @mayametni
- Toni Yammine | Crowdsourcing Music Videos – Meen the Band | Toni is a Lebanese musician/director. He likes chocolate so much, and knows how to count very well in both Lebanese and English. He also has an RC plane and tweets on @toniyammine.
- Hind Hobeika | Smart/tech clothing and where that’s all heading? | Hind is an engineer, swimmer and a self-tracking geek at its most!
- Beshr Kayyali | Making Arabic Indie Music Popular Sawt.com | Beshr is a true Geek through and through. He has worked on many successful web projects for geeks apart from his day job as a developer.
- Bassam Jalgha | Live Demo How to Build an Audio Synthesizer in 10 minutes Using Open Source Information | Bassam is a maker by heart. Always high on solder fumes, he works with electronics, build robots. He is into the DIY cult and tries to annoyingly spread it among his entourage. Check him out on www.depotbassam.com.
- Loryne Atoui | Fashion for a cause | Loryne is a graphic designer impassioned by a crusade against breast cancer as well as travel and photography.
- REAL PEOPLE and GEEKS AS MODELS
- Fashion for fundraising – Bras for a Cause by One Wig Stand
- Up & Coming Lebanese and Middle Eastern Geeky/Urban fashion Designers stages by Fishy Nation
- An Online Collaborative line designed by our own Joseph Maalouf
- Geeky Tshirts by Maya Zankoul
- Looks from top Lebanese Fashion Bloggers
- Geeky Tshirts by NOBRAND
- DJing the show is DJ Beats
- Alternative Rock Performance by Near Surface
- Special Vocal Performance by Hiba Kadri
- Acoustic Cover Performance by John Nurpetlian
- A Stand Up Comedy Performance by our own Malek Teffaha
- GIVEAWAYS DRAW FROM OUR SPONSORS
- House Music by DJ G.
- Real Party Time featuring a DJ set by Underrated
- AND OTHERS…
ONGOING – The Art Show
This series by Bonjus really relates to the senses, with the great slice representations my mouth waters every time I see them. Undoubtedly they are one of my favorite ads of the summer.