Social Media Dilemma: CNN lets brand champion take the blow. Are you watching your brand champion’s back?

The day started with great frustration as I read Liliane’s blog post regarding the turnaround of events at CNN.

I’m not going to get into the details of how a 140 character tweet spiraled madness and let the network to believe that Octavia’s Position was compromised

Photo taken at Social media day in beirut

The first thing we learn about corporate social media practices, is that the benefits of it far outweigh the risks. We are also taught that successful brand social media strategies must reflect a personal approach and sincerity in communicating to your audience and reflecting your true persona.

Big companies such as CNN have been happily leveraging Social Media through their wide network of brand champions, like Octavia, who have been dedicatedly tweeting their personal & professional experiences from tehir twitter accounts, as well as sharing on various social networks, reaching out people, interacting with them and building relationships feeding the ultimate brand persona.

It is that sincerity and openness that helped Octavia build relationships and trust with the digital natives in the Middle East, relationships with which she enriched her employer and the quality of work she has provided.

And in the digital world, we naturally understand, without disclaimers, that whatever is tweeted by Octavia, though under the CNN handle reflects by and large her personal opinions which may not match that of her employer.

So doesn’t CNN allow its employees to have personal opinions (whatever they may be)? Are CNN employees only allowed to express their opinions when it benefits CNN and is not controversial? ( I would really like to take a look at CNN’s social media guidelines)

I find it very disappointing that at the sight if a small back lash CNN was so reluctant to overlook all that Octavia has contributed to CNN, instead of standing up for her. It is not the right way to treat a brand champion will definitely reflect negatively and strain o other CNN staff in their social media presence.

CNN how do you expect your brand champions to stand by you, if you do not cover their backs and put full trust in them.

I would appreciate if you can leave your honest comment on Octavia’s Post here.

Other Lebanese Bloggers who have covered this issue:

- Pascal Assaf ( Arabic)

- Joeyy Hat

- Mind Soup and here

- Facebook page created by @youmny

- Brit In Beirut

- Eliane Badr ( Arabic)

( if you are a Lebanese blogger who has blogged on the subject, kindly let me know to link back to your post)

I also particularly loved Jillian C York’s post – Shame on American Media – stating even more examples of media double standards.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. ritakml’s avatar

I can’t believe it! & THIS is NOT DISCRIMINATION? :S

2. Random’s avatar

I think you might want to link the Frances guy’s, the british ambassador, post about fadlallah http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/guy/entry/the_passing_of_decent_men. She too shares the same opinion as octavia regarding that man and more.

3. Marketing Blog’s avatar

join the Facebook group to support Octavia Nasr everyone! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136095629753500#

4. Britinbeirut’s avatar

They’ve deleted the post from Frances Guy’s blog.

I’ve posted a cached version on my blog if people haven’t seen it.

Honest comment? It’s a joke.

britinbeirut.blogspot.com

5. Gaby’s avatar

Got an interesting blog post by one of my closed branding expert friends about that matter.
    Check this out: http://ilahoud.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/has-cnn-forgotten-the-abc-of-branding-riddle-this-2/

Cheers

Thank you Gaby, a great read indeed!

6. sts’s avatar

Hello dude, can i post articles to your website ? Let me know if you are interested

STS, I tried to email you but got an undeliverable response. Surely you can send be your blog post ideas to contact (at) theidentitychef.com and I would be happy to publish them. Email me if ur interested.

7. led strip’s avatar

Some truly good posts on this site, thank you for contribution.

8. mutuelle’s avatar

Very interesting website.

9. Luciana Tiller’s avatar

Excellent goods from you, man. I have recognize your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying plus the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

10. Carlena Cottrell’s avatar

Some really nice and utilitarian information on this site, as well I conceive the design and style has fantastic features.

11. Sterling Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon’s avatar

you are really a excellent webmaster. The internet internet site loading velocity is amazing. It seems which you are performing any exclusive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a fantastic procedure on this topic!

12. a’s avatar

I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for yourself?
    I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you
    write about here. Again, awesome web log!