Dunkin Donuts Lauches Campaign to Support Lebanese Fire Fighters!

This was sitting in my draft folder for an eternity, I’m gonna just quick post it since the issue was brought up @twitter.

Dunkin Donuts Fire Fighter's campaign

From mid-October until the end of November, Dunkin’ Donuts customers will be able to donate 1,000 L.L. to the Beirut firefighters’ brigade with each purchase of 1 small Dunkalatte or Dunkaccino and 1 Donut. The Beirut Fire Department will use the amount collected to purchase severely needed equipment that will enable them to better save and preserve the environment and thus, to benefit the society at large.  Source : Executive Bulletin

Where Dunkin Donuts Fails?

- The guys does not look like a Lebanese Fire Fighter.

- The posters only started appearing recently, while I was stalking shops all of last month to find one.

Lessons to be learned

If you want your campaign to succeed, have images that your audience can identity with.

IF you want a campaign to succeed, campaign in advance agressively.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Chantal’s avatar

Interesting idea, but they must work more on it!!

2. Saad Al Dosari’s avatar

Hi Darine … You raised some good points about the ad already …

But I have a question; what was the occasion behind such campaign? Or is it simply a part of their social responsibility activities?

Hi Saad,

Well we’ve been having some heavy forest fires during the summer, and our fire fighters are heavily under funded and we lack basic equipment. So I guess it is all related to that as well as general CSR.

3. Tarek’s avatar

Yesssss, cause all our firefighters are slightly altered versions of Shane West!!! :p

I support the cause definitely, but I think I’d rather have the cashiers ask me at checkout whether I would like to donate LL1,000 to the fire fighters instead of limiting it to Dunkacinos and Dunkalates…

(I don’t think they would campaign heavily cause it’s an expense and in their head it’ll be something like if we’re doing them the favor, why should we pay as well!! You know, Leb mentality!)

Great point Tarek! Could be ‘lebanese mentaility’ , but CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) builds up Brand Image and Brand identity.So if it is not publicized, tehy do not spend money, but also they do not gain positive sentiment.

4. Tarek’s avatar

Good point!! And yeah I wouldn’t have heard about this had I not read it here on your blog!

Thanks for your comments Tarek. Join us also in our conversations on twitter :)

5. Enuff’s avatar

Is there anything a Lebanese won’t complain about?

6. Bassem B.’s avatar

My friend and I saw this poster and he made the same comment: it doesn’t look like a Lebanese firefighter and he “looks like a soldier.”

I wouldn’t know, because I don’t remember what a Lebanese firefighter looks like. But my own “looks like a soldier” impression came from the overused “support our…” line which is usually followed by “troops!”

7. lebmarketers’s avatar

Is it dunkin’s social responsibility to finance and gather charity for the fire fighters in Lebanon?

Does corporate social responsibility produce and enhance brand identity?

Is it true that in order to be successful you shall promote your product and or service by integrating ads and images that your audience can identify with?

The answer to all the three questions, unfortunately, is “HELL NO!”

To those who claim they have spotted the ad only on this blog, you were not targeted.

To those who tried to induce that CSR creates brand image, and seemed to be very enthusiastic about brand identity, ladies and gentlemen, the ad is not for Dunkin products, it is exclusively directed to promote the need of the Lebanese Fire fighters department for donations.

Last but not least, those of you who are geniuses and deducted that the Lebanese fire fighters do not look the same as the fire fighter on the poster, good luck with being creative; the aim was to show and promote the hardship of a fire fighter’s job. This was not an illusion nor a trick to mislead smart people like yourselves.

Finally, to all of you who praised each other on the Lebanese mentality, and were so NOT Lebanese at all, Dunkin was trying to help the fire fighter’s departments by raising money, they did help, and the department did benefit.

Good luck to all of you, you clearly are Marketing oriented!

Bravo!

1. Tarek’s avatar

Dear whichever one of the Lebmarketers you are,

A. CLEARLY, YOU are the one that’s marketing oriented!!! Your language and tone shows that you’ve got the communication skills to be an excellent marketer… Perhaps PR?!

B. “those of you who are geniuses and deducted that the Lebanese fire fighters do not look the same as the fire fighter on the poster, good luck with being creative; the aim was to show and promote the hardship of a fire fighter’s job.” You wanna explain what one thing has to do with the other?! Isn’t it part of good marketing to speak to its audience, and hence the person in the poster should look more like a Lebanese firefighter?

C. Are you drunk or high? Cause I got the e-mail notification that you commented after midnight, so I wouldn’t be surprised, which would also excuse your tone!

D. No was attacking Dunkin’s or considering their campaign a trick or whatever; pure and simple this post and the comments were meant as constructive criticism to improve the campaign. I’m sure we all agree that people like the Red Cross, firefighters, army soldiers, etc are beyond the usual Lebanese bickering and in fact have the support of all the people.

E. If this campaign was not targeting us, who was it targeting?

F. Last but not least, none of us GENIUSES claimed to be marketing professionals. Clearly we lack the IQ and skills that you possess and as such we’ll stick to whatever ditch we’re working at now!

8. lebmarketers’s avatar

Dear Sir Tarek,

A- My Tone got you on the edge, i clearly made you think harder, and i did get you to write a better controversial comment.

B-”You wanna explain what one thing has to do with the other?! Isn’t it part of good marketing to speak to its audience, and hence the person in the poster should look more like a Lebanese firefighter?”

My Explanation: 86% of world wide leaders in advertising do not include any associative factor in their ads, i.e. they rely on creative advertising, rather than descriptive advertising (Using a more friendly lebanese picture would be descriptive, what dunkin actually did was creative advertising, both could be effective, and maybe your idea is better; my argument simply supports creative advertising, since it is still not widely integrated in the local marketing sector.

C- “Who was it Targeting?”; it was primarily targeting the walk in population (i.e. clients that actually visit the dunkin coffee shops and make a purchase). (there were definetely other targeted segments, but i mentioned the major one)

D- Your Proposal (“I think I’d rather have the cashiers ask me at checkout whether I would like to donate LL1,000 to the fire fighters instead of limiting it to Dunkacinos and Dunkalates”) could be a potential good argument! but a counter argument could be: “it would then be pure begging, don t u think? would a cashier of dunkin’s be at ease asking each and every single customer “good day sir, would like to give us a 1000 lira for fire fighters?”

E- finally, you provided us with the following productive argument:
    “Are you drunk or high? Cause I got the e-mail notification that you commented after midnight, so I wouldn’t be surprised, which would also excuse your tone!”

Since your argument is very mature and really professional, we are going to disregard it!

P.S.: if my initial comment was offensive, then you got me wrong; i was simply shaping it in a rather friendly sarcastic manner!

1. Tarek’s avatar

And democracy works again!

Dear Mr./Ms. Lebmarketer,

I do agree with you on many of the points you mentioned, however yes, I did feel your response was harsh, and hence needed to add a dose of “high/drunk” in my response! :) But as you can see, we did end up having a constructive conversation!!

HOWEVER, I would like to re-iterate that no one here claimed to be a professional marketer and as such our suggestions though you may see as ludicrous are in fact meant to be positive!

Just to respond to your comments:

A. NO, I am not the type of people who needs to be beaten up to function better. This is a free world you know and we (most of us) are a civilized society!

B. Assume that the firefighter was of African-Lebanese decent (play on black), would the campaign have made sense? No, cause most Lebanese are not black… Same logic applied to Shane West here! (in my personal opinion!)

C. I like Dunkin’s but don’t consume it regularly… Perhaps if I had seen this ad somewhere when the campaign was on going, then I would have took a five minute detour from my route and bought the combo special, even though I prefer, read below:

D. Yes, it’s been done with Spinneys and McDonalds and I’m sure it’s been done a lot abroad: “Sir would you like you donate an extra LL1,000 for the Lebanese firefighters” Simple yes/no… It’s not for Dunkin’s so it’s not begging…

E. Cool!

9. lebmarketers’s avatar

Dear Mr Tarek,

i am glad we clarified some crucial points;

as for your illustrations, it is interesting.

we can use your opinion on our facebook group entitled LEBMARKETERS;

we will follow you on your blog as well!

take care!

P.S. (lebmarketers is a group i created to allow talented and creative people to share their opinions and knowledge on marketing and advertising related topics; check it out if interested)

my name is OMAR E. TOUMA, AUB grad, currently Product Manager at LOREAL LIBAN!

10. Darine’s avatar

Tarek, Omar,

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

Omar,

Your facebook group’s rules regulations state that “Insults and Offensive vocabulary will not be tolerated”, if you read my disclaimer page it clearly states the same. So please live by what you preach.

Since Tarek handled all the points you mentioned, I just wanted to clarify a couple of points.

- A major setback of the campaign was that posters did not appear in D&D shops until beginning of November. As I said I stalked the shops being a D&D addict so yes I checked! Hence, for over two weeks customers did not even know about the campaign, I do not think there is a defense for that.

- Another point Ad people and “professional Marketers” often overlook is listening to their segment’s feedback (even I have sinned in that direction). Even if you have the most creative campaign in the world but your audience feels alienated by it, then it does not work – it is that simple!

- And last, if your company does CSR, as a marketer it is your job to milk it & produce positive brand sentiment. Why miss out on the opportunity?

Please keep following the blog, would really love to hear your comments on some other posts around here :)

11. lebmarketers’s avatar

Darine,

i am more than glad you read my group guidelines; since i have checked your blog and read your disclaimer much before i commented, i remember reading ” Negative and Positive feedback are both equally welcome as long as it is expressed in style”.

My Style was Sarcastic; If You found it to be Offensive you can simply delete the comments without providing me with a useless Proverb;

- Truth be told, posters were available at major branches (Those that i visited at least ) such as Abraj, Zalka, And Sodeco;
    one could argue than the campaign (more specifically the Promotion Mix) was inefficient and that the team behind the campaign should have better promoted a core supplement : “Awareness”; and then, maybe, i would agree!

- As for the fact that most Professional Marketers Disregard their Segment’s feedback, well, in that case, dear Darine, They wouldnt be that professional, would they?

The true professionals Are Proactive, they get the feedback before actually hitting their best shot with the campaign; and that is, what most Modern professional marketers are doing: “TESTING” (for so long entitled Market Research and Analysis);

- i did NOT mention missing out on the attractive opportunity entitled “CSR”; i DID argue that CSR is what you, as a company, integrate to attain one major goal: “Sending an explicit message to the society that we are socially responsible, i.e. we care about the welfare of our society, as a community and individually as well”

Dunkin Donuts were not PURSUING a CSR related strategy (i.e. their aim wasnt to send the former message), their objective was to be socially responsible (i.e. writing the message so that they Grasp the aptitude and ability to market it later); The difference between implementing CSR and Aiming at grabbing it, is, unfortunately, too thin, but yet does exist.

Finally, good luck with your blog action, and you clearly have some good work going on; keep it up!

O.T. (LEBMARKETERS)

12. George’s avatar

Darine,
    I want to thank you for your post. It’s very interesting, and i’m gonna keep following your blog.

tarek,
    You have strong arguments. I agree with you on most of them.

Lebmarketers,
    You’re a good arguer…Regardless of wether i agree with you or not i know you know what the hell you’re talking about !!
    And i do agree with you on most of your points too…
    I checked your group on Facebook, it’s quite interesting. Nice work, it’s something i would check out regularly…

I just wanted to say, that you all lead a good argument, showing all sides of the matter. Very constructive ! Thanks.

Thank you for your feedback George :)

13. Harry Tomfilla’s avatar

Very helpful! Thanks very appreciated!