KAZOUZA – The new bubbly drink in town?

Kazuza Grenadine & Watermelon soft drinkThis is our new found discovery in the soft drink niche. One day prince charming simply noticed these in the local ‘dekkane’. There were three flavors: Lemonade; a bottle of which has mysteriously disappeared, Watermelon; as you can see from the photos we did not have much restraint with that either, and the last survivor – the Grenadine & Lemon Flavor. If you like variety in your soft drink Kazouza is a great equivalent to Freeze, especially with its unique Watermelon flavor. But I am sure you’d agree that it is also a great feast for the eyes, great Kudos to the designers who created this hip concept!

Kazouza bottle top

Kazouza is truly a mystery drink. The label hints it’s been there since 1941, but asides from this little shop near our house, we couldn’t find it anywhere. And as for the manufacturer- Cedars Premium Food & Beverage SAL (definitely Lebanese) , I couldn’t find them in any listings or directories and their website is still under construction.

Kazouza logo

Kazouza Grenadine & Lemon and Watermelon Bottles, Lebanese Soft DrinkI would definitely recommend you to grab any of the bottles, that is,  if you get your eyes on them. I have dropped the manufacturers a line and hopefully I’ll get the mystery solved soon. Nevertheless, if you know more, or see more, tell me about it! This has got me real curious!

Kazouza Grenadine & Lemon Bottle

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Zerolando’s avatar

love it ! Kazouza heheh hilarious name :D

1. Hartini’s avatar

I am in kuwait. and the hotel i work , required kazouza product,
        can u please give me some information regarding the distributor or supplier in kuwait, we can get it in supermarket, but we need it in big amount, so we need the supplier for this. your cooperation is highly appreciated.
        Regards,

2. Fred Shadian’s avatar

My childhood just flashed right in front of me just thinking about drinking Kazouza. I remember going to the grocery story ‘dekkane’ to buy a bottle and then we would play spin the bottle :) LOL
    Wow they are back with a twist, very cool. Can’t wait to try one out. Do they ship to Canada :)

3. Rami’s avatar

lol what a coincidence! I also saw the same bottles at Idriss Supermarket in Hamra and I took a photo of 4 bottles of difference flavors on a shelf and was planning to post it on +961! :)
    I was also wondering about their existence since 1941! I know some of the old “kazouz” (as they used to call them before!) brands were RC & Jalloul, but my parents didn’t recall there was something called “kazouza”

And You’re right about the design btw, I also liked it… but I didn’t taste any of their flavors yet!

Hehe:) Guess I beat you to it then:) @fredshadian said that he used to drink it during his childhood. BTW did you see any additional flavors to the ones I mentioned?

P.S. We started buying it on a regular basis just because it is a rare find:)

4. Fred Shadian’s avatar

a little update from memory lane, just checked with my brother, the encyclopedia of my childhood. The company was called Jaloul or Jalloul, flavors where Tamer Hindi, Orange, clear soda and some red flavor :)
    Kazouza was the given name for any soda pop.

That’s what my boss just confirmed, he remebers the tamer hindi flavor of Jalloul and does not recall anything having a brand name Kazouza:) Thanks for your help in solving this mystery :)

5. Liliane’s avatar

oh i have a feeling lemon grenadine is taybe :D

So far Watermelon is the best. Lemon Grenadine is like Seven up with grenadine. But we have found two new flavors orange & grapefruit which we haven’t tasted yet.

6. Hasan’s avatar

Hello friends,

I’m an AUB business senior. I found this new Lebanese product interesting “kazouza”.
    So could you please support me with enough info about it. For example, what is the name of the company, whose producing it? Where I can find it? Is the company doing any advertising campaigns? Any thing!

Best Regards!
    Hasan

Hi Hasan,

All the information that I have on Kazouza 1942 is basically summarized in my two blogposts about it: http://identitychef.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/kazouza-the-new-bubbly-drink-in-town/ & http://identitychef.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/kazouza-1941-mystery-uncovered/.

You can definitely get some extra information if you contact Cedars Premium .

Yes the company is doing some promotions, visiting outlets, and exhibiting. I know for a fact they have exhibited at the Biggest Hummos & Tabbouleh plate adjoining exhibition.

Some small stores around Lebanon carry Kazouza, I buy it from a small dekkaneh in Sanayeh and have also seen it in Gas station shop in Unesco (medco) and in a store in Tripoli. But you have to rummage well to find all the flavors ;)

Hope that helps you.

2. Roger Alfa’s avatar

HI Hassan
      I can´t help you much but this product use to be called in the 50th.
      KAZOUZ JALLOUL and the famous flavor was TAMARIND (Tamer hindi )
      and it was owned by family Jalloul.
      Good luck
      Roger Alfa

7. Hasan’s avatar

Hey Darine,

I’m really so grateful for this appreciated effort. Thank you very much. I hope this will help me in my research. By the way, there is a teacher in our department, is called, Mr. Antoine Sabbagh, I respect him so much. He’s a good man.

Thanks again,
    Best Regards

Hasan

Hi Hasan,

Glad I could help :) They say all people are related in the 10th generation, but no I do not know Mr. Antoine Sabbagh. Good Luck with your research. I would urge you to join twitter to stay up to date with all events , news & new products in Lebanon.

8. Hasan’s avatar

Hi Darine,

Thanks for the offer. Actually, I don’t have much time on web, but I’ll try my best to register at twitter.com . If so, I’ll inform you straight forward.

Best Regards,

Hasan

Well you are definitely welcome to join one of our tweetups, maybe that’ll get u excited. We’ve got one next week http://twtvite.com/shprwu

9. Hasan’s avatar

By the way, I found Kazouza in a supermarket near to our neighborhood.
    I am sorry Darine, for not being able to join your twitter blogs, but really I’ll try my best to join it soon.

Best Regards,

Hasan

10. irfaan harris in Saudi’s avatar

you can find it in the store at the filling station opposite Imam University in Riyadh Saudi Arabia
    Really is a great refreshing drink

11. shibin zain’s avatar

do u have this in saudi arabia ???

1. ahmadchanouha’s avatar

yes we have distributor IN Ksa

12. Tony’s avatar

Hi Darine
    We Have this brand in Australia in fact I drink it most weeks. I have not tried any other flavour exept Tamarind. Most shops here sell the brand Pampa but they are both much the same.

Regards
    Tony

Awesome, thanks for sharing Tony. I guess they thought Tamarind will be most popular among expats .

13. nayla kobrossi’s avatar

delicious , smells like heaven especially tamarind!!! Kazouza is way tastier than FREEZ !!!

14. anthony najm’s avatar

so tasty.way better than FREEZE,makes me feel alive

15. christel najm’s avatar

my favourite drinks KAZOUZA & JALLOUL!!!
    dear readers i wish u agree with my opinion !

16. Aya Elsa’s avatar

Hi Darine thank you for the interesting lecture u’ve been giving us in Leila Khauli’s Marketing Communication Class at AUB :)

Do you happen to know where, other than Lebanon is Kazouza found?
    I’ve heared they have it in Iraq, KSA, Australia.
    Is it available in the US market?
    I heared they have it in 23 countries now can you believe that!
    Thanks for the help:)
    Your posts are always very interesting

Aya Elsa

Thank you for your comment Aya. Well I have seen Kazouza when I was in Jordan and in Syria, I think that they are sold in The Sultan Center (TSC) chain of stores and so I assume there would be present wherever they have stores. You can check all the comments on the 2 Kazouza posts I have on my blog with testimonies from people from different countries. Good Luck with your project.

17. ehab yousuf’s avatar

i neb the TLE.no in dubai

18. Gilbert’s avatar

Can I find it in Dubai?

19. Redha’s avatar

Dear Darine,

KAZOUZA or I should say GASSOSA is an Old Italian soft drink with a combination of lemon and lime. Please check the following web sites:

Redha

20. roger alfa’s avatar

Dear All
    here is a tip.
    Go to the nearest far east or Thai supermarket and buy a can of Tamarind then at home if you have a SodaStream system ,just add the quantity you need . Here you have a bottle of Tamarind Gazouza.
    Let me know how did it work .
    Enjoy the drink

21. ABDULLAH IBRAHIM’s avatar

TO THE KAZOUZA PRODUCTS MANEGER.,
    DEARS SIR .,
    WITH PLEASURER TO FIND YOUR PRODUCT IN DUBAI , WITH THE KAZOUZA , WISH FROM YOU TO LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE YOUR PRODUCTION SALES IN KUWAIT , PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR PRICE AND QUENTITY SALES TO BRING TO OUR KUEAIT COUNTRY , PLEASE REPLY US WISH FROM YOU TO NOT HESITED US FROM YOUR INFORMATION THANKS YOU SO MUCH A WAIT YOUR REPPLY SOON.,
    YOURS FAITHFULLY
    ABDULLAHIBRAHIM.,
    aeroabdullah81@yahoo.com

22. Hani’s avatar

Interesting information, thank you. In Algeria they have a soft drink called “Hamoud Boualem” founded in 1878!! Still on the market. I have tried it and it is quite good. See: \\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamoud_Boualem.
    The interesting part is its place in the market, exported to NA and to France, while it has 50% Market Share in its home country. It is a shame that our Lebanese soft drinks have not been able to survive the market, and fade to become obsolete. Same goes for much of our Lebanese light to medium light industry. We need to support our local products more to have better progress.